Wednesday, August 31, 2005

My Encounter With A Real Published Author

I met a local author recently. It's funny because I met her in stages. Stages and intervals of communication problems, IE the internet and phone problems. I'm the service tech for her area. And she was in the final stage of editing her book which took 5 yrs to write when I first met Ms. Sloan. I remember more of her plight to get published than her technical communication difficulties. Upon my second visit she had found a publisher, my third visit revealed the picture on her screen saver of the front cover of her soon to be published book, and lull and behold my most recent visit yeided the published book. I course, I bought a copy and had her sign it.

Ms. Soan lives in a small apartment and works as a cashier at a local truck stop. She is soon to celebrate her 60th birthday. And guess what readers, she is living her dream.....she's published!!!!!!

I just finished reading "Bridges" by L.P. Sloan and I loved it. I am not a fan of fiction which I explained to Ms. Sloan. I like real true stories. That's what inspires and interests me.

She replied, "All fiction is based on reality." She explained that she uses episodes and characters out of her life to use as writing material. Well, I had to read her book. After all she is a real published author.

You can find her book on amazon.com. The ISBN is 1-58832-122-3. This book made me think about the crossroads in my own life and the decisions I made and the consequences that followed. It made me laugh and made me cry. It's marketed as juvenille fiction-family. As a former home-schooler, I'd reccommend this for jr high to high school aged kids. At 152 pgs., it's a quick enjoyable read.

I have skimmed the pages of other local authors at book signings and quite honestly haven't read a book I'd recommend. They are at the book store because they are local people (maybe have a story of local interest)not because of their writing ability. Their book doesn't make much of a splash past the local area. L.P. Sloan is not in that category. Her book reminds me of "To Kill A Mockingbird" with characters like Aticus Finch and Scout. Ms. Sloan truly has writing talent.

Thanks God for gifted writers and publishers smart enough to print their work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home